The title of this article likely sounds familiar to you because the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, adapted from Jay Asher’s novel, Thirteen Reasons Why, has created immense discussion among teens, schools, and families.
The show’s content is controversial and it has received some negative feedback. However, as an organization that specializes in crisis intervention and suicide prevention, Distress Centre appreciates the conversation the show has generated, and we know it is important to continue that conversation. We encourage anyone who needs support to reach out to us. We are here for you 24 hours a day.
Here are 13 reasons why you should contact Distress Centre Calgary:
1. You are feeling suicidal. You feel hopeless and are starting to think that ending your life might be the only way to escape from what you’re feeling.
2. You are self-harming. It’s been a few months since you’ve self-harmed but you’ve had a rough couple of days and your usual coping methods aren’t helping.
3. You are lonely. You’re a senior living independently and rarely hear from your kids. You feel isolated and alone.
4. You’re homeless. You’ve been kicked out of the place you were staying at and don’t know where you’re going to sleep tonight.
5. It’s 3AM and you can’t sleep because you’re experiencing anxiety about an exam you have in the morning.
6. You’ve been fighting with your mom a lot lately because she just doesn’t seem to “get you.”
7. You’re struggling financially. You lost your job last year and your savings have almost run out. You just received a final notice on your utilities bill and you can’t pay it. You don’t know what to do and you’re stressed.
8. You recently lost someone close to you and the grief you are experiencing is making day-to-day life tough to deal with.
9. You’re starting to think that your drinking habit might not be healthy but you’re not ready to talk to someone you know about it.
10. Your partner has grown increasingly violent, but you feel trapped in the relationship and you don’t know what to do.
11. You’re new to Canada and you’re finding the new culture completely overwhelming. You miss your home and you’re lonely and scared.
12. Lately you’ve found your mental illness difficult to manage and you’re afraid to bring it up to people you know because of the stigma attached to it.
13. You need to talk at any time, about any issue, for any reason. We are here for you day and night.
Distress Centre Calgary ensures everyone has a place to turn to in a time of crisis by providing 24 hour crisis support, online help, professional counselling, youth peer support and referrals – all at no cost. Our services are confidential. If you need support, contact us.